Monday, November 26, 2012

Charity Swim

curracloe beach

This is Curracloe strand in Co. Wexford, Ireland and the location of an annual charity swim on St. Stephen’s Day (December 26). 

The reason I’m telling you this is because my brother and I have signed up to do it this year.  Usually, we go just to watch and show our support for a very worthy cause, the Wexford Hospice.  It can even be pretty cold cheering from the side-line, dressed in layers of our best thermal-wear.  This year, I’ll be wearing a bikini.  A small one.  The same one I wear regularly on the beach in Abu Dhabi.

I have mentioned before that I live in one of the hottest climates in the world- to which my general body temperature adjusted a little too happily.  I feel cold now when the temperature drops anywhere close to 20°C.  I can’t even imagine what the Irish sea will feel like in December. 

It is going to be tough.  But wait, who was that person who said the best things in life are also the easiest?  No one.  People don’t say that because it’s totally not true.  This is not going to be easy. No siree.  But, will it be totally and completely worth it?  Of course it will.  I’m pep-talking myself now.  Feel free to pep-talk me too.  Or, if you happen to be in the area, come along in a month’s time to take on my usual gig as cheerleader.

P.s. This is part of my Day Zero List.  I’d love to know how you’re doing with yours?

17 comments:

MARTA said...

You are really brave Thelma! Despite the cold you'll have to suffer, i'll be it'll be a gratifying experience. In my list of resolutions, there's still pending finding a way to the US. So i have set 2013 to be the year, so hopefully i'll blog from there soon ;)

Couture Carrie said...

Good for you, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Erica said...

Gosh, you are brave. I don't do well in the cold. My arms and legs just shut down. Can you do the swim in a jacket and scarf?? ;)

k said...

wowwww that is going to be cold. i can't wait to hear how it goes though!

Alexa said...

Oh my gosh!! So good for you! What a great experience!

trishie said...

Good on you. Good luck!

Ashley said...

But wait, who was that person who said the best things in life are also the easiest? No one.

hahaha!

I would have considered coming to cheer you on, but I'll be in Cali for Christmas!

Ali W. said...

It is so awesome that you guys are doing this! I have never even heard of a charity swim!

Test said...

I admire you for doing this... Wish you luck with the race and look forward to hear how it all went

Unknown said...

I don't know whether to applaud you or to lock you up in the nearest asylum for your own safety! xo

Camila Faria said...

OMG, this is a-ma-zing!!! I wish I could be there to support you!

Gloria said...

Oh man, you're MUCH braver than I am :-)

Matthew Spade said...

that is sure going to be hard but like you said, you need to work for your achievements.

EMA said...

Good luck with the swim! I wish you and your brother all the best :)

http://www.themirroronthewall.com/

Diana Mieczan said...

Yay, that is so awesome:) You will do great, sweetie. Kisses and hugs

yessie (cinnamonandzoeykisses) said...

I'll be cheering you in from SoCal! xx

Anonymous said...

wow! Congrats and Good Luck!!